September sees us celebrating our second birthday here at Pace. I can’t believe a full two years have passed since that first exciting day – it seems like only yesterday…and yet so much has happened in that time. This past year in particular has seen us shortlisted for a Prolific North award for our work with KCOM, support the launch of the first Hull Lifestyle Awards and provide branding for international sportswear brand XBlades, to name just a few highlights.
We’ve had ups and downs; laughter and tears; said goodbye to a few people and said hello to many more. We’ve jumped through hoops and knocked down walls (literally). And we’ve all learned a lot. So to celebrate 24 months of this incredible journey, here’s 24 things I’ve learned or need to remember:
1. I can’t do everything – as hard as it is sometimes, I need to let go.
2. It’s okay to make mistakes but try to fail fast and move on.
3. Don’t dwell on things – I can’t change what’s done but I can learn from it.
4. Try to stop worrying about tomorrow and take time to celebrate today’s success.
5. Say thank you – I still don’t say this enough (sorry team).
6. My gut feeling is usually right – when I’ve gone against it, I’ve more often than not, wished I hadn’t.
7. Team fit is vital. If you don’t ‘get’ our values, you won’t ‘get’ us.
8. I’m only as good as my team.
9. Attitude trumps experience.
10. Try to switch off and take time out to recharge – I feel so much better mentally if I do.
11. Respond don’t react – try to take the emotion out of the situation.
12. There’s hard work…and then there’s having your own business.
13. There are never enough hours in the day – my alarm setting gets earlier all the time.
14. Focus – avoid distractions as I have enough to do.
15. It’s okay to say no – I can’t physically be everywhere I’m invited to be.
16. I have a brilliant team – for which I’m very grateful.
17. Remember to enjoy it – 2 years have flown by and I’m guilty of not savouring it.
18. The rollercoaster never ends – not that I’d want it to because that’s what makes it exciting.
19. There’s always a solution to every problem – sometimes it just takes longer to find it.
20. Don’t put off tough decisions – if I do, it just makes them tougher.
21. I can choose how I feel – which is very liberating.
22. Don’t stop learning – I try and learn something new as often as I can.
23. I’m very lucky to do what I love every day.
24. And most important of all… first and foremost, I’m a mum.
So 24 months in and I’m still learning. It’s still exhilarating, exhausting and exciting every day. But most of all, I enjoy it. Thank you to the Pace team and all our clients who have joined us on our journey. Here’s to our third year!